1. I need to expand my clothing vocabulary-cute, soft, comfy, cozy, awesome, gorgeous, adorable, cardigan….I could go on and on with my list of overused words.
2. If I can push myself out of my comfort zone, ANYONE can. Fact-I am a shy and private person (until you get to know me). If you were to tell me 2 years ago that I would have a blog with almost 20,000 followers, I would think you were crazy! My point is, don’t doubt yourself or hold back based on fears. Go for it and the worst that can happen is people will laugh at you and make fun of you (ok that was my husband’s answer when I first started this-he was trying to be funny.) But seriously, the worst that can happen is you try something and realize it’s not for you, or even better-you realize that you are more capable than you thought.
3. Speaking of people laughing at you, I learned to stop worrying about what other people think (for the most part). I am a worrier by nature and when I first started this page, my stomach dropped every time I posted a picture. Thoughts in my head were things such as, “I look horrible”, “People will think I look dumb”, “People will think that I’m full of myself,” “People will think” (feel in the blank, because I thought it). Over time, I eventually realized that I will never please everyone and if I’m having fun and helping people, at the end of the day, that’s all that matters!
4. I love cardigans. I didn’t realize my extreme love (and maybe slight addiction) for them until I started this page. And shoes…don’t even get me started on the shoes.
5. It takes a village. Balancing being a mom to 2 boys, a wife, a blogger, and now back to work as a full time teacher is no joke! This blog could not continue without my sister Samantha, who helps create posts, respond to questions, and tells me to be quiet when I am back in worrying mode. My husband TJ is incredibly supportive and understands (most of the time) when I need to be on my phone or run to the computer, and is on daddy duty with no complaints when I need to go shopping.
6. Speaking of things being a little hectic…I’ve learned to relax and realize not everything needs to perfect. While spelling and grammar errors, as well as wrong links, slightly kill me, I’ve come to realize these things can be fixed and there’s always the next post to get it right : )
7. Blogging is wayyyy more time consuming than I could have ever imagined. From shopping, to finding all the products online, to creating posts on all social media platforms, to searching for the best deals, to responding to followers, it’s 24/7. With that being said, it’s worth every second.
8. Mirror selfies are way harder than they look. Although I think I got it down from about 50 takes to 15 takes now. It’s all about progress : )
9. Good lighting is everything! Now that I’m taking most of my pics before and after work, and daylight hours are becoming a rarity, I’m realizing just how important it is.
10. What’s on the rack today may be gone tomorrow. I never realized how quickly clothing sells out. Sometimes I spot something amazing and it’s gone before I even get a chance to post. If you love something, don’t hesitate to get it before it’s gone.
11. Before I started this blog, I thought I would be entering into a competitive environment, which was intimidating at first. But boy was I wrong! The blogging community is made up of the most amazing people who not only share deals, tips, and cheer each other on, but truly want one another to succeed. I’m so grateful to have “met” such a wonderful group of women.
12. Lilac and Lip Gloss followers are the absolute best! The support you have given me cannot even be described. I am so thankful for each and every one of you. The messages I receive, the pictures you send, and the positive feedback inspire me to continue on this journey. Without you, Lilac and Lip Gloss would not exist.
One of my very first cardi pics : )